Tuesday, 13 January 2009

First Newsletter of 2009

2008 has finished its final minutes as I sit in my apartment in Sweden, looking at my Christmas tree which is leaning oh so slightly to the right.

It seems like a good time to reflect over the past year and muse a little on the year ahead. But oh gosh…you have properly already received 20 such newsletters in your inbox this past week, so how do I make this one more interesting to read….perhaps I shall take my inspiration from the movie I watched ….the 1951’s version of Scrooge.

Well in my own version I shall have no ghosts, Tiny Tims or ‘Bah Humbugs’….but a look back, at the present and future……(OK not much like Scrooge...but you read this far!!!)

Enjoy and Happy Holidays….


BACK; What a great year when I think about it. I started 2008 on the plane from NZ and spend the first six months in Switzerland. I loved being a student the Advanced Principles of Communication School and can see how I have grown in being a deeper thinker with a greater understanding in how God and His Word is so relevant for this World.


Next I co-lead the School of Communication Foundations (SCF), which as usual, was a good growing time in my leadership skills and character.

July saw me move to Restenäs Sweden...my new home for at least the next two years.

I have settled very fast and really feel at home. I am very much enjoying the people here and see there is potential for me to be challenged and grow in who I am and the ministry I work in.

The final three months of 2008 saw me lead the first SCF in Sweden. It ended up that I only had one other staff for the school which meant a lot of work for both of us. In the end though, while it was busy, the base staff helped a lot and the work load was quite manageable.

A week before the school started we had 12 possible students but in the end we only had 6 come. The others dropped out for various reasons like finances, visas and health issues. But in the end the 6 we had were so great that I cannot imagine the school without any of them.


This group of students were so easy to lead and get along with. Our classroom was often full of laughter and I am very grateful to them for being so willing to learn.

What makes this job of leading so worth while has often so little to do with me, but seeing the change in the students. To see each person gain more revelation about who God is and created them to be, and start to practice the skills of good communication is the reward.

An example has been one student who had even a physical change as she grasped a deeper understanding of God’s love for her and how He saw her as a beautiful woman.

On the night of public event for the school she had undergone a secret makeover and wowed the audience as she came out in a ball dress, hair cut and a new confidence in who she is. The atmosphere in the hall was electric and the standing ovation revealed not only the power of what God had done in this student, but for each person on the school. This positive influence has also been seen in the whole base as they really got behind myself and the school to support us, many times being blessed themselves.

I have also seen my own growth as a leader as this is the first school where I have not felt like I have ’failed’. Many times in the past I have had huge, rather unobtainable, expectations on myself. This has lead to disappointment when I felt like I kept letting others down by not being that perfect leader. In this school (while far from perfect!) I have been much more realistic in my self-expectations...which overall has meant a happier me, staff and students.

Leadership is a great facilitator of character growth!


PRESENT; At this very moment I am sitting at my kitchen table looking at the frosty view outside. The aforementioned Christmas tree has been thrown out the window because the days have marched into January while my unfinished newsletter mocks me for being lazy....the irony of being a communication school leader vs my lack of communication is not lost on me.

Honestly I am not sure what to think of 2009. The year stretches before me with new possibilities, and there is a sense that more of God’s promises will start to be fulfilled. The potential there is....but potential is only that...the capability and possibility of being or becoming. I really desire to step up and out to see this potential actually work itself out in reality.


It is in those day-to-day decisions on how to spend your time; which choices you make; how to relate to the people around you, that determines if that potential is achieved.

So for me that means stepping out more in leadership, using the God-given gifts to influence and serve those around me. I would love to travel and teach more this year as well as serve this base and Sweden in the best way I can.

I want this year to count towards God and His purposes!!

FUTURE; So what is this year 2009 shaping up to be….

I will continue to be on a team that works with YWAM staff training and University (UofN) development in Northern Europe. This also includes a newly developed role as the UofN point-person for Sweden—which is basically serving the Swedish YWAM bases.

I will travel to Amsterdam in January for two weeks to be apart of UniQuip—A YWAM staff training event.

February is when I will start to learn Swedish fulltime. I have learnt from past experience that language learning is vital...and will not happen unless I am very deliberate about it. So I will spend at least 2 months (possibly 5 months) in Swedish lessons in the closest town to the base.

I am looking forward to meeting the Swedish immigrants—properly mostly Muslims from the Middle East who will be in the class with me.

There is a possibility of attending a three week training conference in Germany in May. Also in May I have been invited to speak in a DTS in Bulgaria and will also teach at a training event in Finland.

In the summer I would love to go on a short outreach somewhere...not sure where or what yet. From August onwards I will be preparing fulltime for the next Communication School which will run from September 17th until 11th December.

Then my plans are to go home to NZ for two or three months from Christmas onwards!!!!

Thank you all for your friendship, prayers and support...I could not be doing what I am doing without you! Love Helen

…….2009…..Bring it on!!!


There are specific things you can pray for if I come to mind....

· Help in learning Swedish!

· Good connections with the immigrants in class.

· Wisdom to know how I can step up and make this year count.

· Finances for specific needs:

· New glasses—the protective layer is coming off so my view is a little foggy.

· Computer—My broken computer screen is getting worse and the dream of a MacBook still seems very far away.

· Travels—The cost of my ministry trips

No comments: